Wednesday, 17 December, 2008

Kuldeep Yadav: Spy crying for help from Pak jail

Kuldeep Kumar Yadav, 41, a law graduate from Gujarat University has cried for help from the Kot Lakhpat Jail in Lahore. Pakistani police had arrested Kuldeep by accusing him as an Indian spy. It has been 13 years and the Pakistani authority in Lahore jail is still torturing Kuldeep day and night. Kuldeep had written a letter to his advocate in Rajkot M K Paul appealing that he is unable to bear the torture by Pakistani jail authority any more by stating as;

“ ...I cannot describe in this letter about the torture that I have been subjected to.”

Kuldeep has alleged that the government of India has neither taken any step for his release from Lahore nor given any support to his family members. Mayadevi, his 76-year-old mother said that when Kuldeep had gone to New Delhi in 1989, she never received any information about him.

She said: “Kuldeep had gone to Delhi in1989 saying for a job. He did not specify where has he got the job or for whom he is working. Later, we came to know that he is in Pakistani jail when we received a letter from him a few years ago. We are trying hard for his release but everything has gone in vain.

The family had also received a letter signed by second secretary (C&V) B Humpal from the Indian High Commission in Islamabad written on February 1, 2007. Kuldeep Yadav cries for help from Pakistani Jail, forced to live in inhuman condition

The letter was written as; “your son Shri Kuldeep Nanakchand Yadav is detained in Kot Lakhpat Jail of Lahore. He has been allowed consular access and the High Commission has confirmed his national status. We are in touch with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Pakistan to secure his early release.

Rajkot based MK Paul, a campaigner for the release of Indian Prisoners of War in Pakistan (PoW), wrote to Kuldeep and received a reply within in a week. Kuldeep has described in the letter about the inhuman condition in which he has been kept for years.

Later, Paul filed a case in Gujarat High Court on the base of the latter written by Kuldeep. The two-judge Bench served notices to the Union of India in this matter, which are returnable on June 25.
Paul said that on March 23, 1994, Pakistani authorities had caught Kuldeep and had kept in detention for three years. Later, a military court awarded him 25 years of imprisonment. Later, the Pakistani authority shifted him to Kot Lakhpat jail in 1996.

No comments:

Post a Comment